Thailand Visa Options For Foreigners - 2021 Latest up to date information

Get the right visa to avoid headaches and hassle. Obtaining a visa for Thailand can be overwhelming if you are not sure of the process, or which visa is best suited for you. It is important to get the correct visa for your needs. Whether it be for retirement, volunteering or working in Thailand. In order to avoid headaches and hassles, in this blog you will find all the information you will need to know before applying and choosing the right Thai visa for a foreigner. So let’s dive in and see the latest 2021 update on Thailand’s visa options for foreigners. 

What are the different types of visa options for foreigners in Thailand?

There are various types of visas options for foreigners in Thailand. Each different type of visa serves its own purpose and offers different types of benefits. There is no doubt that knowing more about the different types of visas available in Thailand will make it easier to apply for that particular visa.

Thai Retirement Visa

A Retirement Visa option for foreigners in Thailand allows an extension of stay based on retirement for the visa holder. The visa is an extension of a Non-Immigrant O Visa or a Non-Immigrant OA Visa and can be given with single or multiple entries. The Retirement Visa can be renewed every year, and the renewal process can be done in Thailand. 

To qualify for a Retirement Visa in Thailand: 

  • You must be 50 years or older.
  • You will need a security deposit of 800,000THB in a Thai bank account 2 months before applying for the visa
  • A monthly income of 65,000THB
  • Police clearance
  • Health insurance
  • A medical certificate.

Volunteer Visa for Thailand

A Non-Immigrant O Volunteer Visa is intended for foreigners who wish to work in Thailand as a volunteer for a charitable organization or an NGO. To obtain this visa, applicants must apply for a working certificate from the Thai Labor Department in Thailand as well as apply for the Non-Immigrant O Volunteer Visa from the Thai Embassy or Consulate in Thailand or the volunteer’s home country.

Initially, your volunteer visa is granted for 90 days and during this time you can apply for a work permit for the NGO or charitable organization. You will also be able to extend your visa in Thailand. Note that the work permit for your volunteer must be applied for at the local Labor Department where the charitable organization or NGO is located.

When applying for the Non-Immigrant O Volunteer Visa, applicants will need their passport plus two photos, the registration and map of the charitable organization or NGO as well as the volunteer’s project description.

Student Visa Thailand

 The student visa option is available to any foreigner who is older than 12 and wants to stay in Thailand while attending an educational course. 

In order to apply for an ED visa, you’ll first need to be: 

  1. Accepted to either a full-time educational course, a training program or an internship in Thailand.
  2. Your chosen school/course has to be recognized by the Thai government
  3. You’ll need to attend 100 hours of the program for every 90-day cycle of your ED visa. This is roughly 8-10 hours of educational instruction per week.

To apply for the Non-Immigrant ED visa, the student needs:

  1. A passport with 6 months of validity
  2. Two recent passport photos
  3. A completed visa application form
  4. A completed TM 87 Thai Visa application form.
  5. A letter of acceptance, evidence of enrollment, course description, and school registration documents from the school or educational course.
Thailand visa options for foreigners - 2021 Updated information by TMT visa phuket

Working Visa OPTIONS For Foreigners IN THAILAND

In order to work legally in Thailand, you will need a Non-Immigrant B Visa, which can also be applied for at the Thai embassy or consulate in your country. Once you have your Non-B Visa you must then apply for a work permit and it is important to know that you WON’T be able to work in Thailand legally without a valid work permit. 

To apply for the Non-Immigrant B Visa, you will need a:

  • Passport with 6 months validity
  • The completed visa application
  • Passport photos
  • Proof of adequate finances
  • A letter of approval from the Ministry of Labor
  • A copy of the work permit.

The corporate documents supplied by the hiring company in Thailand include:

  • A business registration,
  • List of shareholders
  • Company profile
  • Details of business operation
  • List of current foreign employees with job title, map,
  • All information related to taxes and VAT

TIPS: You should consider is whether you would like a 90-day single entry visa or a 1-year multiple entry visa.


Thailand’s Dependent Visa is available for family members of those who already have a working visa in Thailand or for those who have a child with a Thai national. For family members, they’ll first need to enter Thailand on a tourist visa or 30 days exempt stamp, after which they can switch to the Non-O (Dependent) visa. 

To apply for a family visa in Thailand, you will need:

  1. A passport with 6 months validity
  2. Copies of the family member’s passports including visas, visa stamps and departure cards as well as a copy of their work permit
  3. Copies of the employer’s company’s paperwork
  4. Photograph and evidence of the relationship between the dependent and spouse or the working partner.


It may be a lot of information at first and applying for a visa in Thailand can be quite a headache. If you would like to consult a visa agency to find and apply for the right type of visa. Drop us a message on Whatsapp or messenger to find out more. Our team will assist in finding the right visa option for you in Thailand.

Leave a comment