All You Need To Know About Education Visas for Kids To Study in Thailand and Guardian Visas

With so many different types of visas available in Thailand, the entire visa situation is a bit of a minefield. It is always better to check and verify with either the Thai Immigration or Visa agencies for the correct and up to date requirements relating to each type of visa. Today we will be covering the topic of whether your child needs a visa to study in an International school in Thailand.

What the requirements of a Guardian Visa in Thailand are and how you can get one. If you are in the process of relocating your family to Thailand, then you have landed on the right blog. As a father of a daughter living in Thailand, I understand the importance of getting all the necessary documents and visas sorted out, especially for us and for our children.

Let’s dive right in to see whether your child needs an education visa to study in Thailand, and how you can get your guardian visa arranged in Thailand.

Disclaimer: There are different requirements for many different nationalities,so please note that this is a just an overview and it may differ depending on your nationality. To be sure please do feel free to drop us a message in our chat box in the bottom left and we can give you the more tailored requirements for you and your family.

Does my child need an education visa to study at an International School/ Public School in Thailand?

Now that Thailand has once again opened it’s borders and lifted travel restrictions, many families from all over the globe are relocating to Thailand. One of the most common questions we get asked is:

Does my child need a visa to study in an international school in Thailand?

Yes they do. And this is true if they are to attend an international school, recommendations of which can be found here, or a public Thai school. All non-Thai children, regardless of age, will require a Non-Immigrant ED Visa in order to legally study in Thailand. Your child will also need to do the 90-day reporting required of any long-stay visa in order to record your residential address, so they must attend the immigration office once every three months.

Does my child need a visa to study in thailand - head start international school phuket

What are the requirements of an education visa for children in Thailand?

  • Your child’s age is between 3 – 18 years old.
  • Child’s passport page with identification details. 
  • Child’s birth certificate certified by the home country’s embassy in Thailand.
  • A letter from the school confirming your child’s enrollment.
  • One passport photograph, signed on the back.
  • House registration or lease agreement, with a copy of the property owner’s ID card, signed and dated. 
  • Parent’s Bank statements over the past three months.

Applying for an education visa for your child can be completed upon arrival in Thailand, and they can arrive on either the 30-day visa exemption or 60-day tourist visa. This is convenient as it allows you time to have a look at schools before deciding which is the right one for you, based on quality and location. If you are looking to get an education visa for your child, check out all the requirements here. Another benefit is that if a child has an Education visa one parent can apply for a Non-O guardian visa.

Non-Immigrant O Guardian Visa, Thailand and The Requirements

Having a Guardian Visa in Thailand gives you, as a parent, the chance to stay in Thailand for an extended period of time. If the school provides the necessary documentation, you can apply for, and obtain, a Non-Immigrant ED visa prior to your trip to Thailand. Thailand’s guardian visa is only given to non-Thai (foreign) parents whose child is studying in Thailand with a valid education visa.

What are the requirements of a guardian visa in Thailand?

For the Non-Immigrant O Guardian visas, these are the following requirements:

  • The limit for this visa is 1 Guardian visa per 1 education visa.
  • You are required to keep a minimum deposit of 500,000 Baht in a Thai bank account per Guardian visa.

This visa allows a foreign parent to stay in Thailand legally for a year, it can also be renewed every year until the child reaches the age of 18.

If you are looking to apply for an education visa for your child and a guardian visa for yourselves, feel free to get in touch with us or whatsapp us here. At TMT visa service Phuket, we will take care of the entire process for you. This gives a wide range of advantages, one of them is not having communication issues between the international school and the immigration office.

Leave a comment